Tech News and Views
The Bank of America recently published the following list of common scams:
Imposter: "I'm with the IRS and a lawsuit is being filed against you for back taxes"
Red flags include: You receive a request from a government agency asking you for a payment and/or to verify your personal information
Tech support: "We've detected malware on your computer, let's go ahead and get this fixed for you"
Business email compromise: "Process a wire for $x and send to the account in the email attached?"
Email account compromise: "There's been a change in the transfer for closing, please now send the money to?"
Grandparent: "Grandma I'm in trouble, I need your help, I need some money really fast"
Romance: "I'd love to come to see you but I don't have the money to travel right now, can you help me out?"
Lottery and sweepstakes: "Your email address was randomly picked to participate in a drawing, send us your details"
Investment: "Glad I got you! Sometime back you responded to one of our programs for information, are you ready to invest?"
Charity: "Hi, the reason for my call is to see if you would donate to help preserve our local park"
Overpayment for goods or service: "Deposit the check and wire the difference to the account number attached"
Fake goods: "Please transfer money to my account and I will ship you the items"
Debt relief: "I can help you reduce or eliminate your debt"
Assistance cashing a check: "Excuse me, I just realized I left my wallet at home, can you cash this check for me?"
Fake house/apt rental: "Hi, I see you received my rental deposit and wanted to follow up about the move in date"
Imposter: "I'm with the IRS and a lawsuit is being filed against you for back taxes"
Red flags include: You receive a request from a government agency asking you for a payment and/or to verify your personal information
Tech support: "We've detected malware on your computer, let's go ahead and get this fixed for you"
Business email compromise: "Process a wire for $x and send to the account in the email attached?"
Email account compromise: "There's been a change in the transfer for closing, please now send the money to?"
Grandparent: "Grandma I'm in trouble, I need your help, I need some money really fast"
Romance: "I'd love to come to see you but I don't have the money to travel right now, can you help me out?"
Lottery and sweepstakes: "Your email address was randomly picked to participate in a drawing, send us your details"
Investment: "Glad I got you! Sometime back you responded to one of our programs for information, are you ready to invest?"
Charity: "Hi, the reason for my call is to see if you would donate to help preserve our local park"
Overpayment for goods or service: "Deposit the check and wire the difference to the account number attached"
Fake goods: "Please transfer money to my account and I will ship you the items"
Debt relief: "I can help you reduce or eliminate your debt"
Assistance cashing a check: "Excuse me, I just realized I left my wallet at home, can you cash this check for me?"
Fake house/apt rental: "Hi, I see you received my rental deposit and wanted to follow up about the move in date"

No comments:
Post a Comment